Friday, November 20, 2009

Penang Kitchen at Coronation Road

While I really like the food at Penang Kitchen, I've always found it overpriced for the type of food they serve, which essentially is street food or hawker food. Still, I was craving assam laksa big time and needed a quick fix that I was confident about.

Their assam laksa ($7.90) is always hot and steaming, and chock-full of ingredients - fish flakes, cucumber, pineapple and onions. And it's a fairly substantial serve, so you're always guaranteed to walk away full.

The husband had the herbal duck soup with mee sua ($9.50) - this was excellent. I'll be back there again to have the soup on its own, without the mee sua which I felt diluted it somewhat.

Having forgotten how substantial the assam laska was, I badgered the husband into ordering a char kuey teow ($7.90) to share. The char kuey teow was the winner of the lot - hot and spicy, with really supple kuey teow with lots of egg.
All in, it was a good and quick lunch, but on the expensive side and not really justifiable. For really large quantities of good Penang food, I've found the buffet at the Penang Place in Jurong to be extremely good value for money for about $20 for dinner. The Kings Hotel buffet is really good too, but paying $40 for a lunch buffet is a bit difficult to justify as well.

Penang Kitchen
5 Coronation Road
#01-05 Coronation Arcade
Tel: 6466 6193

No comments:

Post a Comment