Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ootoya

A lot has been said about Ootoya - some people love it, and others find it's not worth the hype. I happen to fall into the first camp. I've only tried the grilled fish set with a bit of natto, but my first visit was good enough to make me a convert.

Now, I'm not even a fish fan, but for some strange reason, felt compelled to try the atka mackerel set ($17) which comes with rice, a side dish of veggies, miso soup and pickles. This comes with freshly-grated daikon, which went really well with the soya sauce. The fish was excellent. Fresh, nicely cooked, succulent and tasty.

My dining companion had the sea bream set (also $17). This, again, was fresh, cooked just right, and went very well with the vinegar dip and daikon.

We also ordered a side dish of natto for $4 to re-live the Japanese breakfast experience.

Definitely worth a return trip.

181 Orchard Road #08-12, Orchard Central
Tel: 6884 8901

Open: 12.00 - 9.30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment