Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Kang Shifu Beef Noodles (康师傅牛肉面)

Kang Shifu is a Chinese instant noodle brand that I discovered during one of my trips to China. They have pretty good spicy beef cup noodles that are just right for the hungry cold dark alone nights in the hotel room when there's massive work to be done and no time at all to get something to eat. I was most excited when my Tianjin friend told me that there was a Kang Shifu restaurant near where we were staying at the 天津开发区 along 黄海路. I was even more excited when she offered to bring me there for lunch.

She ordered cold dishes - a staple in Chinese dining. Only the uncultured ones ie. the Singaporeans like us would think to go straight to the point, ie. the noodles.


Beef tendon with chilli (RMB 10)
Cold cucumber (RMB 10)

Black fungus (RMB 6)

My Tianjin friend ordered beef on rice. I had absolutely no idea why, particularly since the place was well known for noodles.

I had the standard house noodle (RMB 28) which came with with different beef meat cuts in a hot steaming bowl of warm hearty soup. This was very very delicious and tasty, particularly since I hadn't eaten a morsel on the plane or slept one minute the night before uncomfortably wedged into my economy class seat.

My colleague had the spicy chilli special which came with beef tendon (RMB 24). The soup was similarly very thick, warm and hearty, and the chilli brought out the beefy flavour even more strongly. I regretted not ordering this.

The gang hard at work

We still had room for dessert. There was a peanut-covered shaved ice (RMB 15)...

And a mango/red+green bean/jelly covered ice-kachang wanna be (RMB 22).

The final bill came up to RMB 235 (approx S$50) for 5 people. Great if you're on a Singapore income, but how a PRC local can afford this given that the average annual wage is RMB 30,000, I have absolutely no idea.

1 comment:

  1. Many chinese workers have hidden income, i.e. unreported payments, corruption, etc. So annual wage is not indicative.

    ReplyDelete