Saturday, March 23, 2013

Miso Pork Udon

I was craving the miso pork soup from Mikuni pretty badly one day, but even with the FAR card, it was going to be an expensive meal. So I decided to try my own version, adapted into a one-pot dish with udon, with a few different recipes from the internet and a whole lot of luck. We made a trip to Isetan to get the stuff, and inevitably ended up forgetting some - but all turned out well, in the end.

These were the sauces I got - the most important ingredients being dashi, since I was too lazy to boil my own, and miso. There was red and yellow miso, and I took a chance with the yellow one. Thankfully it turned out right, and I also had a pot of home-made pork and chicken stock boiling as a soup base, which worked out pretty well.

I bought most of the Japanese veggies from Isetan as well, but unfortunately forgot about negi and daikon. The next best thing to do was to run to NTUC nearby to get leek and white radish, which turned out relatively well. 

I used a combination of streaky and lean US pork, from the Isetan meat section. They have a surprisingly affordable range of shabu shabu and sukiyaki meats.

Basically the leek, carrot, and cabbage went into the stock first, and I only added the mushrooms, spinach and sliced pork towards the end.  The miso needed to be strained in, and I realised that not much was needed for the soup to become salty. The entire dish was very yummy but not very pretty, so I only managed a tiny snapshot. A great meal - tasty, fulfilling, and best of all, very affordable.

And made even better when accompanied by really good sake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment