Monday, May 19, 2014

Home-Made Singapore Fried Hokkien Prawn Noodles

I had huge cravings for Singapore Hokkien Prawn Mee one day, and decided that I had to make my own since it was so difficult finding the Singapore version in Melbourne. I put together my own recipe after trawling through various internet recipes, and was pretty pleased with the outcome. 

All the recipes highlighted the importance of the stock. I used chicken frames and pork bones boiled with an onion.

The prawn stock was made by frying prawn heads and shells, adding water, and then extracting the liquid. I threw that all in for additional boiling, and also boiled a slab of belly pork and cuttlefish in the stock, and added some palm sugar. 

The prawns, cuttlefish and belly pork pieces were sliced up and put to one side.

Prior to boiling the belly pork, I sliced off the skin and deep-fried it to get a semblance of lard. This appeared to be a less guilt-inducing option compared to using the fat directly. 

First, I scrambled two eggs and then added stock, before adding the bee hoon to soak in the stock flavours. 

After 5 to 10 minutes, I added the yellow Hokkien noodles and the pork skin bits, and left the pan to simmer further.

After that, I added the prawns, cuttlefish and pork belly strips and fried it for a minute or two more. 

The final product was pretty amazing, tasting exactly like what we get at the hawker centres although with considerably less lard. My one mistake was to use cuttlefish instead of squid, but it was more to do with the visuals rather than the flavour. I even made sambal belacan to go with the noodles, and this was perhaps one of my proudest culinary moments. 

Another view - the stock had settled below the noodles, which were super moist and tasty. Surprisingly they weren't too soggy, which was my main concern. I daresay I did well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment