Tuesday, June 14, 2011

L'Entrecote

A greedy former colleague - a partner in crime and a true friend - left the establishment last week, and to celebrate her liberation we went to a place near the office that we had wanted to try, separately, but had never had the opportunity to. We knew that L'Entrecote didn't take reservations and so I tried my best to walk out early (at my current workplace, that means while there's still light).

It was still pretty empty and we managed to get seats fairly easily.


They were handing out a mixture of blackcurrant and white wine called ikr - or so I was told. It tasted like very flat sweet champagne.


We each had a glass of the house 2008 Bordeaux. Not very impressive - I've quit drinking alcohol except for very special occasions, and the wine was too thin with insufficient body to warrant breaking my fast.



We shared a couple of starters - the escargot in herbed butter was lovely


The foie gras terrine was to die for. Very yummy especially with the picked onions.


They only have 1 main, which is steak with fries and salad. The only difference is how well the steak is done. The salad with walnuts was enjoyable.

And the steak, which I had medium well, was not too bad. It came with a mustard butter sauce, which I felt overpowered the flavours of the meat. The steak was decent, but I think that Les Bouchon gives a better steak frites experience. The fries, however, were super - thin and crispy and hot.

For dessert, we shared the crepes suzette and meringues with hazelnut and vanilla ice cream. These were pretty decent too.


Overall, it was a pretty pleasant experience. I'd go there again if the occasion called for it, although if I was the one calling the shots, I would go to Les Bouchon over L'Entrecote. The steak is better because you get a better beef flavour, the house wine is better, and the parking is easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment