Saturday, November 27, 2010

Mellben Seafood at Ang Mo Kio

The husband and I decided to reward ourselves with a lot of crabs after a long hard day at work. We usually go to Uncle Leong's at Ang Mo Kio, but decided to give Mellben across the carpark a try that night.

We ordered the butter crab, which was absolutely delicious - it was creamy, rich, and yet not too jelak. We licked up the cream with mantous.
We also had the crab bee hoon. The soup was amazingly rich - it was very flavourful (I have no idea how many crabs they used to make the stock), and the noodles were very supple. Top marks for this.

The crabs, we were told, are all of a standard size. The ones we had were very meaty and fresh. At $40 per kilo, we were quite happy with what we got.
The place was absolutely packed. If you come prepared to wait for a parking lot, then a table, and then for your food, you'll be right.

Blk 232 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 (off St 22) #01-1222
Tel: 6285 6762

2 comments:

  1. I love the crabs here! We usually go to Uncle Leong's too cos the queue at Melben is just crazy. Honestly, I think both taste equally good. But then, I just hate queuing for food and I'm not a foodie. What's your take on both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think there wasn't a difference, but I've changed my mind since. The crab noodles at Melben are definitely better - the stock is richer, and somehow has that extra kick.

    We used to like the butter crab at Defu Lane before Taste Paradise made it really big. Haven't been back since though.

    ReplyDelete