Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tokyo: Ippudo - the real stuff

When Ippudo first opened in Singapore, I found the queues ridiculously insane, which led me to only eating there if I was in the Orchard area or if a friend really really really wanted to eat there. The 3 chances I've given it are more than enough to convince me that it's decent at best, average most of the time. So when the sister started raving about Ippudo in Tokyo, I figured it was worth a shot since she's probably the only person I know who is fussier than I am about good food.

We went to the Ebisu branch, which is technically in Hiroo about 5 mins by car from her house. There was a queue outside, which in Japan means good food!

The place, as expected, was packed.


So much to eat, so little time and space :( On the whole, prices are quite affordable.
Stuff on the table to add to the noodles.


They even give you pickles - some kiam chye thing, ginger strips and bean sprouts. I loved the bean sprouts!


Garlic for pressing into the ramen bowl


If you're interested in a history lesson, this is it


The bean sprouts were SO nice. Supple, crunchy and spicy with a tinge of sesame oil.


The gyoza was fantastic. The skin was crispy, the filling had the right mixture of lean and fatty meat as well as chives and cabbage - I could easily have eaten the entire plate by myself.


The husband's basic ramen. Because we went with the sister and family, they ordered in Japanese which meant we had no idea what our dishes were called. I'm only guessing that this was a Shiomaru.


I had a mentaiko rice, which was decent. I ate it up, but honestly, it was a mistake ordering mentaiko rice in a ramen shop. I regretted tremendously later since it filled me up.



We had nori sheets to put into the soup


Finally my ramen arrived.


This was probably the most perfect ramen I have ever eaten in my entire life. The noodles were perfectly al dente - I understand that these thin ramen noodles are called Hakata-style ramen. The soup was rich, flavourful and not too salty. It was served at the right temperature, with the flavours of sesame, miso and black garlic oil perfectly blended. If anyone's interested, this was the second option from the right on the menu (photo above).


Photo of our half of the table


The husband showing how garlic is pressed


When the first lot of noodles is eaten up, you can order an extra serve of noodles - that's called kaedama. Just make sure that you save some soup, since they only give you the noodles.



Address: Hiroo 1-3-13

Tel: 81-3-5420 2225


It's just 5 minutes walk from the Ebisu train station, which is on the JR Line as well as the Hibiya Line. Apparently it's open from 11am to 4am everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment