Friday, October 11, 2013

Punggol Choon Seng Seafood Restaurant

I've had extremely fond memories of eating seafood at Punggol with my family since I can remember - I know my grandparents used to like to patronise the restaurant closest to the water towards the right of the roundabout.  After the restaurants were kicked out, we found Choon Seng at one of the marinas close to Matilda House (if my memory hasn't let me down), but we only went there once because the aluminium roof didn't insulate the eating area below and it was stinking hot. They moved again a few times, and recently my trusty and reliable foodie gang organised dinner at their latest location at Changi Village. I was overjoyed :)

Their mee goreng was as good as I remember- not too sweet, with enough chilli, and with the noodles having enough bite. They were generous with the seafood too. 

The salted egg crab was pretty yummy too, and finger licking good. 

I can't recall whether these were coffee or Guinness pork ribs - these were just calling out for a bowl of steamed rice. Moist, delicious and tender. 

The foodies who were in the know ordered a crispy duck - here's the duck being cut up faster than the speed of light. 

Cutting the duck into fine shreds

Ready to eat! 

Served with peking duck condiments


The duck was crispy, soft and really delicious. I also heard that another greedy friend can eat one duck by himself in one sitting, plus a plate of mee goreng. Needless to say that the mention of that greedy friend's name made the waitress exclaim, and claim affinity like we were all ka ki lang. 

The. best. ever. pepper. crab in Singapore. Ok, I think I'm biased. Objectively speaking, for pure pepper crab, I think Jumbo's is pretty hard to beat. But I grew up eating pepper crab cooked with garlic and blue ginger, and I was pretty damn happy to be able to eat it again. 


I spooned it all up. 

The hae pia was pretty yummy too - crispy with a chewy inside. 

 What the filling looks like

I included these photos just for fun - we capped off the night with a visit to the durian stall near the infamous hawker centre in Bedok (which looked pretty clean to me anyways), where previously mentioned reliable foodie friend had already called to chope 7 mao shan wang durians. And thankfully she did, because there were vultures around eyeing those durians.  

I would kill for those durians now, especially since I can't get them.

The damage by the end of the evening. 


Punggol Choon Seng Seafood Restaurant
Add: 23A Turnhouse Road
Tel: 65465251

No comments:

Post a Comment