Wednesday, December 2, 2009

6 hours in Bangkok

Enroute to Vientiane last week, I had a 6 hour transit stop in Bangkok, which was long enough for me to justify taking a cab into town for some eating and shopping.

I ended up walking around Siam Square at about 10 in the morning. Found a small food street between Sois 5 and 6 directly behind the main road (with LRT overhead), which I'll try to make it to during my next trip to Bangkok since it was way too early for rice and curries. Everything smelt and looked really good.


Wandered off to MBK to browse through the shops but nothing really caught my fancy. I remembered they had a pretty good food court on the 6th floor for local Thai food, but nearly got sidetracked by the new food court on the 5th floor. Fortunately my memory served me well, and I decided to wander on to find the original food court one floor up. The first stall I saw had this really impressive big vat of boiling meat which looked and smelt amazing!

It was irresistible! I ordered a bowl of kuey teow nam, sen lek with the lot.

Extremely delicious but I found it a bit too sweet for my liking. Easily solved later by throwing in lots of dried chilli.

Wandering on through the rest of the food court, I found a dessert stall:

Interesting chendol-like dessert

Treated myself to a khaw niaw thurian - durian with sticky rice!

Random shots of food stalls in MBK....unfortunately was too stuffed to snack more




The total cab fare into the city, inclusive of the 50 baht airport surcharge and 70baht for highway tolls, was about 300 baht. On my return flight through Bangkok, I didn't want to run the risk of getting caught in a jam since I had just over 5 hours, so I took a taxi to Central City at Bang Na which cost just under 200 baht. Highly recommended if you don't have a lot of time but don't want to hang around at Suvarnabumi.

The Central at Bang Na has got a fairly substantial food court at the basement with the usual noodle and rice stalls, but also with a few stalls selling traditional Thai street food. The grilled squid was delicous : )

No comments:

Post a Comment