Thursday, December 10, 2009

Don Quijote Spanish Restaurant

I had an absolutely wonderful dinner at Don Quijote last Wednesday, and even as I write this I am wondering when I can schedule a return visit. The food was very enjoyable - perhaps not the finest, but definitely good quality.

We ordered a jug of sangria to share ($44 per jug)

The place was packed on a Wednesday

The mussels ($16) were very nicely done, with a garlic and white wine sauce that had us licking our spoons.

The bacon-wrapped asparagus was really nice too - the bacon was not too salty and the asparagus was sufficiently well cooked. But at $10, I felt it was a bit pricey.

Tuna stuffed with red peppers ($16). Decently done.

Garlic fried mixed mushrooms ($9). Decent as well.

The beef tenderloin with blue cheese sauce ($18) was amazing, mindblowing, out of this world yummy. The beef was super tender, and the cheese sauce was heavenly.

Chicken wings in garlic and chilli sauce ($8). Nice but ordinary.

Spanish style eggs stuffed with potatoes ($10). Not too bad but after eating the beef I couldn't think of anything else....until....

The squid ink paella ($28 for a small, $48 for a medium and $58 for a large) came along! It was unlike any paella I had ever eaten...luxuriously soft, creamy and absolutely full of flavour. The servings of prawn and squid rings were very generous, and the squid ink taste came through nicely.

We didn't get to try any of the desserts, and for that, DQ has to blame its neighbour Udders. The Hazels Nuts and Mao Shan Wang flavours were the perfect ending to an almost perfect meal.
Although I thought the beef with blue cheese and squid ink paella were absolutely wonderful, I'm wondering if I was so pleased only because I didn't have very high expectations of the place after having read a few dud reviews. However, the person who arranged the dinner had been raving about the place, and tradionally has been rather credible when it comes to things he takes seriously (ie. alcohol and food). But I think that this restaurant warrants a few more visits, and based on my one visit, I would happily have signed up for a Feed at DQ if they had one.

17 Lorong Kilat, #01-09 (opposite Beauty World at Upper Bkt Timah Rd)
Tel: 6465 1811
Open Tue–Sun11.30am–2.30pm, 6pm–10pm
Sunday Brunch11.30am–2.30pm

2 comments:

  1. Tuna stuffed with peppers, and eggs stuffed with potatoes? That's like having things backwards! I've only eaten stuffed peppers and stuffed potatoes - not the other way round. Nice twist to things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've moved to Blk 7 at Dempsey.
    http://www.don-quijote-restaurants.com/contact.html

    ReplyDelete