Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Platters

Platters is one of the newest kids on the Club Street block, and is opened by a couple who are friends of mine. A bunch of colleagues got invited to the soft launch, and the food was so good that I went back again the following week to taste it proper as a paying customer. Their concept is to have a celebrity chef every few months, and the current chef is Jimmy Chok. This was a name that I had heard mentioned frequently but I had never tasted his food until now.

Their name Platters explains what they serve - platters of a mixture of different sorts of food.

Not sure if this is where they store the platters, or whether these are just for decoration.
There were a lot of dishes for sampling that evening - I didn't get to try all of them



I didn't try the samosas but the mushrooms with rucola were pretty good


This looked like a focaccia with chorizo slices. Didn't try it though.


I also steered clear of these anchovies


But this rilette+gherkin thing was really quite interesting. Very nice with a mellow red wine.

They have a really good wine list, with quite a large variety of wines from all over.


The roast meats were fabulous, especially the beef ribs with a soft texture and a charred smoky taste.


The raw scallops came topped with caviar and a sweetish soy seasoning.


The tuna wrapped in seaweed was nice as well


I didn't touch any oysters since I'm now - BOO HOO!! SOB!! - allergic to raw oysters.


We were seated deep inside the restaurant. Very cosy.


What ended up on my plate - a nice huge beef rib which I demolished rapidly. Plus some bread that the husband took.


More stuff - parma ham which I didn't try, and watermelon with ricotta cheese which I also didn't try


What the entire spread looked like


It was so nice, that as mentioned earlier, I went back the following week with 2 other friends to see what it was like on a regular night. We ordered 3 platters to share.


This was the barenakedladies - basically different types of seafood including the raw scallops, tuna, and smoked salmon. The scallops were the best dish.


We also had a cold cuts and cheese platter with sausiccion, parma ham and I can't remember what cheeses. But the sausiccion was lovely, and so were the hard cheeses.


Another look at the platter.
We also had the Carnivore platter, with the pork ribs, beef ribs and grilled belly pork. The beef and pork ribs were as amazing as I remembered.



Dinner wasn't cheap at $50 per head, but that's to be expected from the location and from the chef ratings. I'm planning to go back again soon before Jimmy Chok disappears.


Platters is at 42 Club Street, and the info below is from their website http://www.platters.com.sg/index.php
Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday 12noon - 3pm; 5pm - 12 midnight
Sunday & Public Holidays Closed
Tel: 62238048

No comments:

Post a Comment