Monday, April 5, 2010

Steamboat in China - Version 2

A few days after the roundtable steamboat, we were also taken out to dinner in Tianjin by our Chinese partners for the longest steamboat session (in terms of the length of the table, not the duration of the meal) ever.

My little corner, where a colleague and I shared a portion.

Garnishing, dips, and the ever-amazing chilli oil.

Veggies - not quite so pretty as the previous session's, but still good. I love the dehydrated tofu - it's really good when it soaks up the hot stock.

Mixture of beef and lamb. The beef was no less worthy.

Garlic to put into the soup.

The looooong table. Being seated at the edge means that I was one of the least important people at the dinner.

My fave sesame sauce, chilli oil and coriander dip.

Midway through, the waitresses came to dish out weird looking sliced bits that looked like they had originated from the deep insides of various animals and had never seen the light of day until their host organism had been electrocuted to death. Subsequently, I was told that it was slices of some large shellfish and that I was missing out big time if I didn't try it. So I did.

And it was so wonderful, I asked for a second serve. Till this day, I have no idea whether it really was shellfish, and frankly I'd rather not know.

The main dish, or 主食. I finally realised why the Chinese serve the carbs at the end...so that in case you're not full on the good stuff (ie. meats and seafood), the cheaper and more inferior stuff will fill you up at the end. In Tianjin, they prefer noodles and dumplings to rice.

Then a steaming hot pot of braised pork in soya sauce came along as well. Excellent in the freezing cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment