Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Kaiho Sushi

After hearing many good things about the various Japanese restaurants in Cuppage, a couple of girlfriends and I decided to try out one of the places that does an omakase dinner (ok, it was really me that made the decision to try it out). Kaiho Sushi is run by a Singaporean chef who, from various online reviews, has apparently worked in various famous places under various famous people. He has a $48 and $100 menu - we decided to go for the $100 menu since we had a reason to celebrate.

First up: dare I call it an amuse bouche? Boiled spinach with sesame sauce. Very normal.

Course 1: Salmon soft bone. This tasted a bit like picked cabbage, but with a bit more bite. I couldn't quite appreciate it, especially since I'm not really a fish fan.

Course 2: Sashimi. This was pretty good. I have no idea what fishes were in the set (anyone can give some advice?), but there was most definitely otoro which was really good. The ama ebi was extrememly fresh as well.

Course 3: Shimeiji soup. This was fairly ordinary too - just a clear mushroom broth.

Course 4: Kama shioyaki. This was really quite good (high praise considering I'm not a fish fan) - the fish cheek was meaty, tender and tasty, and went well with the grated radish.

Course 5: Kisu Tempura - this was nice, but fairly ordinary and not at all mind-blowing.

Course 6: Assorted sushi - there was hotate, sake and toro....not sure what the other fish were. The fish was fresh, and the rice nicely vinegared.
Course 7: dessert, which was 1 scoop of ice cream. We had a choice between yuzu, black sesame and green tea. I chose the yuzu, which was very nice and delicately flavoured. Quite a refreshing end to the meal.

Verdict: At $100 per head, this wasn't terribly exciting, and I'm not sure that I would go back again for the omakase. The food was decent, and the raw fish was very fresh so if there is a next time, most likely I would go for only the sushi and sashimi.

Kaiho Sushi Restaurant
5 Koek Road, Cuppage Plaza #03-01/02
Tel:67381315
Website:
http://www.bernardtang.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment