Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mortons The Steakhouse

When I was at Mortons with the husband 2 weekends ago, it was quite apparent that September was a good month for birthdays since we heard the Mortons staff sing happy birthday no less than 10 times the entire 3 hours we were there. Since we were there for the same reason, we couldn't really complain although around the 4th time or so, we started feeling a bit strange.

I'll start with the service: it was excellent. We had a waiter called Anand who was apparently from KL. He was friendly, unobtrusive and the only waiter in Singapore that made me feel that I wanted to leave a big tip despite having paid the service charge.

The night started off with him explaining the different cuts of meat, seafood and veggies that they had that evening. He also said the bread was the best in Singapore....we were skeptical until he brought out a beautifully baked onion loaf that was still warm. We had to stop ourselves from eating too much.

For starters, we had natural oysters...they were very fresh and tasted wonderful with the horseradish and lemon.

We also had lobster bisque that our wonderful waiter took the initiative to split into 2 bowls without being asked. This was probably the best lobster bisque I had ever eaten....it had a fresh crustacean taste without being fishy, and I dare say that there was quite a bit of brandy thrown in too.

My rib eye steak - done medium. USDA beef is really something else....having lived in Australia for 6 years, I was quite used to good beef, but this was much better than anything I had ever eaten in Australia. It was tender, tasty, fragrant - simply perfect.
The husband's tenderloin fillet butterflied, and our side dish of mushrooms and spinach.
I was a bit embarrassed to photograph the Idaho potato that my husband ordered since I was using a flash, and was worried that I had taken too many photos already. But the Idaho potato was really good as well - I've never eaten a potato so tasty on its own.

The warm chocolate souffle came free for the birthday girl : ) with Haagen Dazs ice cream.
It certainly wasn't a cheap meal, coming up to almost $400 since we both had a glass of wine each. But it was worth the once-in-a-lifetime experience...unless the husband and I both get better-paying jobs soon.

Mandarin Oriental Singapore
Fourth Storey5 Raffles AvenueMarina Square
Phone: 6339 3740
Bar open from Mon- Sat 5pm - 11pm, Sunday 5pm - 10pm
Dining Room open from Mon - Sat 5:30pm - 11pm, Sunday 5pm - 10pm

2 comments:

  1. haha... was it the night that we ran into each other at Oriental Hotel? we were there to celebrate my birthday too! but we went Wasabi Bistro since we were just at Morton's on Father's Day =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes! That was why I told you that we don't do this everyday...eat out extravagantly, I mean!

    ReplyDelete