Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Friends of Mine at Swan Street, Richmond

I managed to meet up with one of the architects that I had worked with as a student intern in one of the medium sized Melbourne architecture firms. She takes her breakfast very seriously, so when she suggested Friends of Mine in Richmond I knew we were in for a real treat. All their food is organic, and where possible, they use local produce so you know that the animals and veggies have all been lovingly nurtured and harvested. It makes you feel happy to know that what you're eating is real good stuff : )

To digress from the breakfast post, when I was working there in 2000, I helped her out on the design and project management for a vineyard restaurant in the Mornington Peninsula area called Montalto - the restaurant has a really lovely view of the vines, and the food is just fabulous. In summer they even do up picnic baskets for people to sit among the gardens. It's definitely worth a visit, even if just to buy olive oil and wines from the cellar door.

Back to breakfast -there's nothing like a good cafe latte to clear the head so that you can look at the menu and see what's good. By the way, on that Saturday morning, the place was absolutely packed. It was a miracle that we managed to get a table since a party of 4 had just left.

I ordered the eggs benedict ($16.90) - described on the menu as "smoked ham hock terrine, perfect poached googies (I suppose that means eggs!), english muffin and teency weency basil". My friend warned me it was "a bit on the small side" - and I was like, come on. This is Melbourne where you struggle to finish what you order! But she was right - it was manageable by my standards, and it was so good I really wished there could have been more. The smoked ham terrine was brilliant. I also ordered a serve of mushrooms on the side, that I gobbled up without taking a photo of...argh.


She had the house smoked salmon ($19.90), which came on a corn pikelet, avocado, herbed creme fraiche and poached egg. She also had bacon on the side for an extra $4. This looked so good, I knew I had to go back.


And so I did. I brought the husband back 2 days later. This time, it was a Monday morning and things were more sane. I loved their menu!


Another coffee to start the day.

View of the restaurant behind my coffee


This time, I ordered the Jack and Jill ($18.90)- this is like their house special, or big breakfast with everything on it - poached eggs, bacon, 12hr roasted tomato, avocado and thyme buttered mushrooms. IT. WAS. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.


So good I just had to post another photo of it.


I ordered the smoked salmon. And with my husband, we eat half of what the other has ordered, like all good Asians.


Look at all the goodness oozing out.


The husband loved it so much he wanted to order something like, so we had the Croissant with ham off the bone, bechamel, emmental cheese, and truss tomato for $7.50. It was the perfect combination of slightly sweet and buttery warm soft yet crusty croissant with ham and melted cheese, and tangy tomato.



What the place looks like from the outside.

It's really near the Burnley Station, like 5 mins walk. Parking around the neighbourhood is pretty easy too - on a weekday morning!


506 Swan St, Richmond

15-20 mins drive from from Melbourne City because of traffic not distance

No comments:

Post a Comment