Wednesday, September 28, 2011

南北河 or Gold Star Noodle House at Mid-City Arcade, Melbourne

When I used to look for more affordable lunch options as a poor non-income earning student, this place in Chinatown was usually top of my list, ahead of other options like A1, King of Kings, Hills, Nam Loong and Camy Shanghai Dumplings (which used to be tops before The Age reported a huge hygiene problem). So when I went back and was looking for a quick meal, I headed there to relieve my memories of 10 years ago with the pork chop with soya egg on rice. It used to cost $7 - now it's $8.50! I initially started frequenting this place in 1999 for the 台湾牛肉面 but once I discovered the pork chop with soya egg on rice, there was no turning back.

In my did-not-sleep-one-wink-on-the-red-eye-flight condition, I then got confused between MidCity Arcade and the new renovated arcade where Dragon Boat yumcha and the cinema used to be - I was really devastated because I thought they had renovated MidCity and chased out all the tenants, and after walking around in a depressed state on Bourke St, realised I was mistaken! And all was instantly well again.

Since it was 3pm on a weekday afternoon, it was deserted.


The pork chop with soya egg on rice was exactly how I remembered it to be - crispy, tender, and extremely sinful.


And it's best with the sambal chilli that they serve in a jar.


Gold Star Noodle House

Shop 7 and 8 Mid-City Arcade

Bourke Street

Melbourne, VIC

Tel: +61 3 9663 8638

2 comments:

  1. You are so making me want to fly to Melbourne now! Arggghh!!!! Flo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha wait for the rest

    ReplyDelete