Monday, August 6, 2012

Oxtail Stew

I'm a huge oxtail fan, and it's not been easy to find good oxtail stew in Singapore. The best I've had recently was at the Tavern at the Tanglin Club but that's not exactly an everyday restaurant for me. So I managed to dig out a recipe to cook my own, one day after work.

I had 2 types of carrot pieces - those super fine ones for flavour, and the larger ones to eat as part of the stew

A few sticks of finely-chopped celery make a huge difference in the flavour of the dish
Frying it all up with garlic and onions, and setting it aside.
I rolled the oxtail pieces in some plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
These were fried as well
The good stuff - not that we would have chosen to cook with such good wine, but it really had to be drunk (it was beautiful, by the way...and even better after about 20 mins of breathing)In everything went, with some beef stockThe end result a few hours later - meat falling off the bone. Fantastic with a warm ciabatta.

No comments:

Post a Comment