Thursday, June 25, 2009

Beef Noodles

I've always loved beef noodles and it's been a staple hawker item since my childhood days, thanks to my dad who used to bring our entire family on eating trips to Bangkok with the sole agenda of eating at a kuay tiow naam shop opposite Asia Hotel. It's been long demolished, but the family still talks fondly about it.

I used to get my beef noodle fix from the Hwa Heng shop at the now-defunct Scotts Food Court in the basement of the now-defunct Scotts Shopping Centre at least once a week, since school was a 5 min bus ride away. Now that that's also gone, there's only one stall that I find is worth making the effort, which is on the first floor of Amoy Street Hawker Centre, nearer to the Amoy Street side.

There is usually see a long queue forming around 12pm, which lasts until past 2pm. The standard bowl costs $3, which gives you quite a generous serving of meat. If you want tendons, you need to pay an extra $1.

For carbo fans, there's all the noodles that you could possibly want. They also serve plain steamed rice.
You can add as much chilli as you want. The dry version comes with a dollop of chilli paste which is like a more concentrated version of the chilli sauce.

For $3, I got a bowl of dry noodles with chilli, with raw and cooked beef, as well as tripe, one beefball and tendon. They also add lime juice and salted vegetable, which gives an extra kick.

The best part about the stall is that the lady who serves you is very friendly. One thing that many hawkers don't seem to understand (especially those in food courts) is that the customer will go back to stalls where they are treated nicely. She always gives soup top-ups, and if there is no one lining up she'll even ask you to sit down first and she'll bring the food to you. I'm happy spending my money there.
Teochew Beef Kway Teow
Amoy St Hawker Centre
#01-23
Open Mon-Sat, 10+am until sold out (usually before 7pm)

2 comments:

  1. I will attest to your love for beef noodles at the now defunct Scotts Shopping Centre. I still remember the days of the past when we would take the bus down after school to Scotts Shopping Centre to eat the beef noodles!

    Good work on the blog. Your pics make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Hwa Heng has reopened at Ion orchard basement...but somehow it doesn't quite taste the same to me.

    Anyhow, you must bring me to eat the one in these pictures. I have realised that it's really not a good idea to look at your blog so late at night because a visit to the fridge immediately afterwards is pretty much inevitable :)

    ReplyDelete