Monday, June 29, 2009

A Weekend Tale of Two Bak Chor Mees

I had bak chor mee for breakfast over the weekend on both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday morning, I decided to head to River Valley after dropping the husband off at work.

Loon Seng Coffeeshop at the junction of River Valley Road and Kellock Road has been around for a long time. I used to go there to eat bak chor mee with my father during school holidays in secondary school, junior college, university and after I started work, even on the alternate Saturday mornings on. They have 3 stalls: one hor fun stall, one roasted meats stall, and one bak chor mee stall. The roasted meats stall only opens at 12pm, and I used to love their char siew. Nowadays, I'm not so sure about it because the service is poor, prices have increased and portions have decreased.

The picture below looks deceptively empty. When I arrived at the coffeeshop at 8.45am, the place was completely full, and the only seat I could get was at the smoking corner, which I usually try to avoid. When I placed my order, the first thing the bak chor mee uncle said was “你能等吗?要等很久。” - can you wait? It's going to take a very long time. He was right. I waited 35 minutes!

This shop separates their noodles from their meat, which is placed in the soup bowl. The mushrooms come on top of the noodles, while the minced pork, pork slices and seaweed go into the soup. I recall he used to serve liver as well, but has stopped that in recent years. Each bowl costs $3.50.
The soup is rather bland, but it's comforting to know that it hasn't been over-salted.

The noodles come with bits of salted fish that add to the depth of flavour. There aren't the usual pork lard bits, and the amount of vinegar and chilli added is just right.
I didn't manage to get a photo of the stall (or the name) because I was sitting alone sharing a table with strangers, and when I left the place, there were too many people standing around the stall. Will photograph it next time. The next day on Sunday morning before church, I met friends at my next favourite bak chor mee off Short Street. It's at Selegie House, shown in the picture below. I've been going there for about 5 years now.
The bak chor mee stall is in a 2-unit coffeeshop and is the only one open in the morning. It's run by an older lady and a younger man, presumably a mother-and-son pair. Incidentally, the drinks stall is managed by a part-time TCS actor. I don't know his name, but he's usually featured in the drama serials about Chinese mythology.
The bak chor mee here is quite different - it's mostly lard based, and you can taste the pork oil in the noodles. The chilli paste is made in-house, and the auntie doesn't add ketchup (I personally think that adding tomato ketchup to bak chor mee is just wrong) which is a great thing. Each bowl costs $3.
Each bowl comes with minced pork, 3 fishballs, 1 prawn and slices of fish cake. And smatterings of fried pork lard : )

You can also add more chilli, spring onions and pork lard if you want.
Literally translated, the name of the stall is Jin Xing Teochew Fishball Noodles Soup. The auntie posed quite happily for me when she heard I really liked her noodles and was going to write about her.

Loon Seng Coffeeshop
429 River Valley Road
Coupon parking available along Kellock Road

Thye San Eating House
Blk 9 Selegie House
#01-19&20
Illegal parking available just outside the coffeeshop :p

9 comments:

  1. I lurve bak chor mee. It's my ultimate favourite hawker food. Have you tried the one at Far East Sq? It's fabulous. The one near my dad's is yums too. Simon road, Upp Serangoon Rd junction.

    Hungry hungry hippo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But but but... I like the ketchup type! Cos I grew up with it. Until I went to sec sch and converted to the 50-cents vinegar-only version sold by some famous old man in the school canteen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! I know which one!! My 37-year old sister and my 10 year-old niece (both proud members of the light blue brigade) always talk about the bak chor mee uncle! But he passed away last year :( The girls were all very upset, including my niece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. btw anyone know where the river valley road bak chor mee stall moved to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's now at Zion Road Hawker Centre. But somehow it doesn't taste the same there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is no longer at Zion Hawker Centre. Trying to look for him. Somehow missed his bak chor mee alot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm also trying to find the bak chor mee uncle. he left zion hawker a few years back and i've not been able to find him. miss his noodles.. very QQ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed the bak chor mee uncle too!

    ReplyDelete