Monday, June 29, 2009

Poison Ivy at Bollywood Veggies


Saturday turned out to be a hot and lazy day - the sort where you want to try somewhere off the beaten track. We decided to try out having lunch at Poison Ivy, which is the eatery at Bollywood Veggies.

Everything at Bollywood Veggies appears rustic, natural and made from scratch.

The person pictured below is whom I assumed to be the co-owner of Bollywood Veggies...he didn't introduce himself but I was quite sure he was the Lim in Singh-Lim. I didn't see his (undeniably more famous) wife, but he was going around all the tables chatting with customers and giving recommendations on what to order. He made us feel right at home.

We ordered chicken curry ($4), papaya salad ($4), fish curry ($4), sweet potato leaves fried with chilli ($4), and brown rice ($1.50 per serve). Our consciences wouldn't have allowed us to order white rice.

The brown rice was surprisingly soft and fluffy. So good you can even eat it on its own.

I liked the sweet potato leaves but felt it could have been better with slightly more garlic.

The papaya salad was refreshing, but it was made using a recipe quite different from the usual Thai version. I'm not sure that I would order this again.
The fish curry with pineapple was pleasantly sour, with the right amount of sweetness to balance the tang. The fish was fried tempura-style, and then served with the curry poured over it. My mother enjoyed it.

We also ordered lemongrass tea (you can get it hot or cold, $2 each). It was nice and refreshing, and healthy too since there was no sugar added.

The bill came up to $23 for 2 people, which I felt was quite reasonable. The best part about eating there is that you have total peace of mind without needing to worry about MSG, hormone additives, preservatives and GM stuff. There's also a farm tour for $2 (free for senior citizens and caregivers) but we decided to give it a miss. Maybe next time.

Poison Ivy
100 Neo Tiew Rd
Open Wednesdays to Sundays (9am - 6pm)
Tel: 68985001

3 comments:

  1. Wow you actually went all the way there....this place is really far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I actually reviewed this place a few years ago! For an article on ulu eateries for Wine&Dine mag. Yes, that's Mr Lim, and I met Ivy too, who sat me down for kueh kosui and tapioca kueh.

    It's nice to go waaaay out into ulu-ness for food sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - this is so my kind of place. I love brown rice!! Have heard so much abt it but never quite made the trek there. Some day, some day,

    ReplyDelete