Saturday, December 25, 2010

Baked Cauliflower and Mashed Potatoes

So the poor husband and his band of merry men had to work on Christmas Day, and the only thing that I could do to try to make it less sad was to make sure that at least they got some decent food instead of some catered msg-laden grub without killing myself trying to prepare some ambitious roast. So I bought roast chickens from Cold Storage, and prepared accompanying dishes.

The baked cauliflower with cream and cheese sauce was really simple. I got half a cauliflower, and boiled the florets until they were just cooked.
The cream sauce was prepared by melting butter and then adding plain flour and milk and stirring. I had some leftover cream, so I added some of that too. After that, I shredded some tasty cheddar cheese into the pot, and added some dried herbs - a mixture of basil, rosemary, thyme and tarragon - as well as salt and pepper.

The sauce gets poured over the cooked cauliflower in the baking tray
Before putting it into the oven to bake, I shredded more cheese on the surface. I was most pleased with the result : )

I also made mashed potatoes with garlic and truffle oil.

If anything, I hope the husband gets to sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment