Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mushroom Soup

I recently embarked on a mushroom soup making spree. I was quite pleased with the result - despite skipping a number of ingredients, it still tasted quite authentic and I enjoyed every drop of the soup.

Started with a huge pot of chicken stock - carrots, celery, an onion and chicken pieces.

In the meantime, I chopped up some swiss brown mushrooms.

Frying the mushrooms in butter, with some garlic.

In they went.

When the mushrooms were cooked, I added them to the strained chicken stock and blended the mixture. It was a bit frothy.

I added cream after that, making sure not to let the pot boil.

The end result - served with ciabatta and a few drops of truffle oil.

Some recipes recommend adding thyme and deglazing the mixture with white wine, but those 2 items are just things that you don't need a large quantity of, after which there's the headache of wondering how to finish the remainder. The soup was good enough for me, with cracked pepper.

1 comment: