Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Choon Seng Teochew Porridge

Teochew muay ranks very highly - maybe even at the top of my list of comfort foods. So I was pretty excited when the FIL talked about this shop at Cambridge Road, which was only open during lunch on weekdays. One of my ex-bosses - an extremely (maybe obscenely) well-paid person who has yet to take a pay cut also told me about this shop being one of his favourites. It has a huge following based on the number of online posts about this shop, and yet the profile of teochew muay fans normally doesn't include tech-savvy persons.

The muay was perfect. It was grainy, and still had some bite.

We ordered the prawn omelette, cooked with fresh prawns. It was super tasty, and very good with the chilli dip.

Their fish cake wasn't too bad, but I've had better fish cake in Maxwell Market.

We ordered a steamed fish, since every other table had one as well. This promfret cost me $60- I'm not sure if it was worth the price, but it sure was fresh and the stock was completely drunk up by the time we were done.

Their chye buay is ok - not bad, but not fab.

I didn't quite enjoy their minced pork, as the black bean paste was rather salty. But it's ok for teochew muay I suppose.

The cost of the non-fish items came up to less than $20, with 3 bowls of porridge, so it's a pretty reasonable place as long as you don't order the fish.

Choon Seng Teochew Porridge
Blk 43 Cambridge Road#01-09 Singapore 210043
Tel: 62930706
Opens 11.00am to 2.30pm, closed on Sundays and public holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment