Sunday, April 29, 2012

Restaurant Week at Oso 2012

After last year's very pleasant RW lunch at Oso, we decided to head back there again for lunch this year. It was a pretty rushed weekday lunch but we managed to pull it off.

I love the look of their bread platter, and they serve pretty good EVO and balsamic vinegar. But it can't match Otto's bread platter.
The starter comprised of a mixture of 3 different items - buffalo mozzarella tartare with basil pesto and tomato sabayon, slowly cooked pork belly with honey served cold and thinly sliced porchetta, and marinated tuna loin and mixed vegetables.
The mozzarella was ok but I think having it done tartare style affected the flavour of the cheese - a small ball might have worked better.
I liked the pork - it was tender and flavourful and sweet.
The tuna looked and tasted a lot like salmon - a bit of a slightly schizophrenic dish, actually.
Next up was a thick and creamy potato soup with white truffle flavour - in other words, truffle oil. The soup was thick enough for us to taste the creamed potato, but I think it lacked just a bit more flavour which could have been due to a lack of other vegetables in the stock. It came with a side plate holding an egg shell with the same soup, but cold.
I wasn't expecting this, but it certainly was an interesting touch.
The soup did live up to its description - rich and creamy potato soup. The amount of truffle oil was just right, so that the aroma was minimal.
The mains came - this was my colleague's stewed sea bass fillet with mushrooms and spinach cake. I must have tried some but I can't remember what it tasted like.
I had the braised and deboned duck leg served in timbale with mashed potato and orange gremolata. I don't know what a timbale is, and have no clue what a gremolata is either. But I really enjoyed the duck - the flavours were reminiscent of a rilette, and the duck had been cooked for a sufficiently long time to be tender and soft.
There were 2 dessert options - a double cream flan panna cotta, and a chocolate soup. I thought the panna cotta was excellent. It was melt-in-your-mouth creamy and had a very subtle vanilla flavour.
I had the 70% dark chocolate soup, which was a very filling end to the meal.

Again, another very happyfying lunch and I would be keen to go there again during the next Restaurant Week. Not as good value for money as Brasserie Wolf, but then again, they give an extra course and the food is always pretty good.

Oso Ristorante
46 Bukit Pasoh Road
6327 8378

No comments:

Post a Comment