Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Set Lunch at Crystal Jade Dining In, Vivocity

The husband passed his exams recently and picked me up for lunch to celebrate one dull and uneventful Friday afternoon. The wonderful man had even booked a table for 2 at Crystal Jade Vivocity after remembering that I had waxed lyrical about the set lunch. I can't remember how much it cost but it was a 7-course set lunch that we thought was pretty good value. $48? $58??

We both started with the roast pork and jellyfish. Crystal Jade has amazing roast pork. The skin is always crispy and the meat always moist.
I had the shark's fin soup with crab roe - the standard starchy fare that went great with red wine vinegar.
The husband had a more eggy version. I liked mine better.
We had a great view of the waterfront. And envied all those other people dining on company entertainment accounts.
We ordered the XO carrot cake as a side dish - I've always liked this dish. Wonderfully soft carrot cake with amazing dried seafood flavour.
A close up. This was probably about 10 bucks.
Steamed chicken with black fungus
Black pepper beef ribs
Ha cheong gai. This deserves special mention. It's probably one of the best har cheong gai I've ever eaten. The skin was super crispy, the inside oozing flavour and moisture.
Cereal prawns. This was okay.
But super pretty!
Finally the carbo to end the meal - I had steamed chicken on top of steamed rice. I have to say that this was a real surprise - I hadn't expected very much of this dish, but it was really enjoyable because it was so simple. The chicken must have been marinated with rice wine, and the soy flavour was intense without being salty.
The husband had zha jiang mian which I normally view with some amount of suspicion. The noodles were nice but the sauce was rather lacklustre, falling back on cheap bottled chilli sauce (or that was how it appeared to me).
Dessert was mango with sago/pomelo (I forget now). Normal, nice, decent.
More hits than misses. We'll need to do this at another special occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment